Thursday, April 21, 2011

Ewephoria


Most people who enter into a relationship with sheep’s cheese expect a robust, salty hunk – think of your Pecorinos from Sardinia, your Manchegos from La Mancha. These hard, earthy cheeses can be addictive, but they often require a sweet sidekick, like honey or quince paste, to offset their briny temperaments.

Ewephoria doesn’t need a sweetheart. It’s all brown sugar on its own. In fact, this Gouda-style cheese from Holland is so sweet you can serve it for dessert, and if you tell your guests that they are eating pineapple upside-down cake pressed into cubes, they just might believe you. After all, Ewephoria smells like rum and tastes – I kid you not – faintly of pineapple. To continue reading, please visit the Di Bruno Blog.

Full disclosure: I freelance for Di Bruno Bros. twice a month. They pay me to write about cheese for their blog, and I run a nugget of the post here.

2 comments:

  1. I'm a huge Ewephoria fan. A cheesemonger friend gave me a huge chunk of it a couple of years ago, and even my husband gave it a thumbs-up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've not had this, but it is making my mouth water

    Based on looks, it reminds me of Uniekaas Reserve

    ReplyDelete