Sunday, November 21, 2010

Two Thanksgiving Cheese Boards

American Frontier Cheese Board
A Tribute to Monasticism Cheese Board


This Thanksgiving, I'm not roasting a turkey or making cranberry sauce. I am curating a pair of cheese boards for two sets of friends: a group of expats, and a former monk.                          


I photographed these beauties today, and I couldn’t resisting posting a preview. I get excited about cheese, as you know. When I can’t sleep, I dream up cheese boards in the dark. I’m especially excited about these two:


     American Frontier Cheese Board

Wabash Canonball - Capriole Farm, Indiana
A glorious goat snowball rolled in ash, it looks like a Russian teacake.

Tomme Dolce  - Andante Dairy, California
A rare goat cheese washed in plum brandy from cheesemaker Soyoung Scanlan

Marco Polo Beecher’s, Seattle
Award-winning Flagship Reserve speckled with green and black peppercorn.

Bay Bluemaker unknown, Maryland 
A flinty raw cow’s milk blue with a salty finish.


     Monastic Cheese Board

Epoisses – France
A pudgy cow's milk stinker washed in brandy, of Cistercian origin.

Frumage Baladin – Italy
A Trappist raw cow's milk cheese with flecks of nutty-tasting barley malt.

Pecorino di Fossa - Italy
A firm sheep cheese buried in the ground and removed on the Feast Day of Saint Catherine.

As you might imagine, my fridge looks like a cheese shrine. Every crisper drawer is full. Which is how I like it.
Questions about Thanksgiving cheeses? Drop me a comment. I'd love to hear about the Thanksgiving cheese boards of your dreams.

5 comments:

  1. I dig passion about cheese boards. The epoisses is one that I've had weak experience with here, often overly ammoniated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't say enough about your blog. It's like a little dose of cheese filled knowledge everyday. Sigh and thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Lakisha. Kevin, I think I've heard from you before about a bad Epoisses -- no good! Buy one in person from a cheesemonger so that you can return it if it's bad. Around this time of year, I find that there's so much cheese being sold that there's lots of turnover.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi tenaya, i realize now that its not on the sign but the bay blue is made by chapel's country creamery www.chapelscreamery.com and from what i can tell the milk comes from maryland but is actually made in pennsylvania. i have not spoken to the makers so if you do, let me know!
    ezekial

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet- I wish you were coming to my house on Thursday- Your pics and plates are very informative for this novice-Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete