Friday, April 8, 2011

Oma, Another Little Treasure from Vermont


IMG_2775

When summer comes, one of my dreams is to drive to northern Vermont. The state is home to so many of my favorite people and wedges, from the master affineurs at Jasper Hill to the gorgeous wheels of Cabot Clothbound Cheddar, Lazy Lady goat cheese, and Winnemere.

My latest fixation is this little orange brooch, named Oma (“Grandmother”). Dan and Sebastian von Trapp make this raw cow’s milk cheese to honor their gran, who married into the von Trapp family (yes, from The Sound of Music). It’s the sort of cheese that makes you raise your eyebrows and exclaim, “Oh!”

Tiny as it may be, this jewel is pungent, beefy. Think of your grandmother’s thick black shoes, then add the smell of sweating onions. Fans of Red Hawk will find it an interesting foil. The texture is silken, pudgy -- I wanted a little more weepy drape, but the flavors were delightfully beefy and buttery with a resonant barnyard shiver. Add some dark beer, brown bread, and fig jam, and you've got my idea of a stoop-sitter's picnic.

There’s a lovely story about this cheese in the April issue of Bon Appetit (see “A Slice of Vermont”). As a lapsed subscriber, this piece made me want to reconsider reading Bon Appetit again. The pictures were great, especially the photo of Oma von Trapp in her white bun and cardigan.

7 comments:

  1. Thank you for not talking about Cabot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And this is for when you finally journey to the Northeast Kingdom: http://www.vtcheese.com/cheesetrail.htm

    ReplyDelete
  3. Garces Trading Co carries this. I brought a nice wedge to a housewarming party, but it never made it out to the plate!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oma gooooodness (said like Sheneneh)

    ReplyDelete
  5. She is a beautiful wheel right now. Slightly reminds me of the fruitiness of the Gubeen--with just a bit creamier paste.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gubeen -- that's a new one for me, S. I look forward to checking this out. I picked up this little wedge at the DiBruno's on Chestnut St. I don't see it around very often, which is too bad. It's such a little custard pie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going to have a cheese geek moment but have you had Ardrahan? Three Mountain from West River Creamery or Tomme De Berger from Herve Mons? They're not quite up there with the Oma and Winnemere, in my opinion, but they're definitely some beautiful stinkers.

    ReplyDelete