Friday, December 9, 2011

Culture Magazine Debut + Birchrun Dinner


Alas, it’s here: the winter issue of Culture Magazine. It features my first story for the magazine, and I’m so pleased that it brings attention to a stellar blue-cheese maker from Pennsylvania, Sue Miller of Birchrun Hills Farm.


I interviewed Sue this fall and spent a day watching her make Birchrun Blue. Her attention to detail and her deep love of all things Holstein showed me something important that goes into cheesemaking besides milk and rennet: devotion. Deep, deep devotion to animals, land, and the people Sue calls her "eaters".

This issue of Culture feels like an album of greatest hits for me. The centerfold cheese is Rush Creek, from Uplands Cheese in my home state of Wisconsin. And the spread right after my story on Sue showcases Mike Geno’s cheese portraits (yup, that's one on the wall in the photo below). Mike’s been featured on this site many times. In fact, he often accompanies me on fromage junkets around the city.

Birchrun Hills Farm Dinner: Coincidentally, Philadelphia’s own Southwark restaurant has planned to honor Sue Miller with a Birchrun Hills Farm tasting dinner on Wednesday, Dec. 21, at 7 p.m. ($45). Chef Nick Macri has four incredible courses planned to feature Birchrun's cheese, whey-fed pork, and veal. Please join Mike Geno, Sue Miller, and me. Raw milk and cookies for dessert!

To reserve a spot at Southwark’s Birchrun Hills Dinner, call the restaurant at 215-238-1888.  

7 comments:

  1. Again, an awesome article and it was great to see Mike Geno's paintings in the magazine :) Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this read and it's great to learn more about local cheeses. I'm hoping I can swing coming to that dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's really all because of you Tenaya. I have you to thank for all of the good cheese has done me so far. :) thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the story Tenaya.

    Sue has certainly earned the accolades. Her hard work, continuous learning and attention to detail yield super tasty, distinctive deliciousness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the story Tenaya.

    Sue has certainly earned the accolades. Her hard work, continuous learning and attention to detail yield super tasty, distinctive deliciousness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i'm behind on my reading! Can't wait to pick up this issue and read your article and learn about Birchrun Blue. Congrats, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so behind on my reading, but now I'm even more eager to pick up this Culture issue - an article from Madame Fromage herself and a chance to learn about a cheese I"ve never tried more = awesome.

    ReplyDelete