Friday, October 1, 2010

Philadelphia Slow Food Festival, Oct. 3

Amazing Acres Goat Cheese
This weekend, Slow Food will host its biannual Terre Madre celebration in Turin, Italy – the artisanal food extravaganza to end all. I’ve wanted to go since the Slow Food movement first captured my attention a decade ago; it was the subject of my first national feature story, and it appeared in Utne Reader.

This Sunday, I’m excited to be part of a local Slow Food festival here in Philadelphia at World Café Live. The celebration takes place from noon-3 p.m., and it’s a chance for locals to drink Dock Street beer, hear live music, and sample artisanal foods from around the region.

Don’t ask me how I got nabbed to give a cheese demo. I don’t make cheese, but I do enjoy spreading dairy literacy and matchmaking for cheesemakers to meet potential cheese lovers. That’s why I invited Debbie Mikulak of Amazing Acres Dairy to join me. She hand-makes some of my fave goat cheeses, including a brandy-soaked, leaf-wrapped cake of Banon that Craig LaBan just featured in the Philadelphia Inquirer as his cheese ‘o the month. (Hats off to you, C.L.)

If you live in Philly, join me on Sunday. Debbie and I will be hosting a cheese demo from 12:30-1 p.m. I will be turning cartwheels amid live goats, while Debbie describes her cheese-making process. I’ve also got PA cheese maps to pass out, along with a list of must-try local cheeses.

If you read this blog, come up and say hi. I’ll give you an extra fat sample.

Tickets to the Slow Food festival at World Café Live cost $10 online and $15 at the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment