Saturday, April 3, 2010

Market Morning at the Piazza

This morning, I flew out of bed with one desire: Market Day Canelés

These heavenly sweets, made by Gil Ortale, just started appearing around Philadelphia, and this morning Ortale was at the Piazza Farmers’ Market in Northern Liberties. No, these gems don’t have anything to do with cheese, but they are honorary cheese to me. Their crispy exterior and custardy interior (infused with hints of orange and rum) are complex enough to make them the brie of pastries.
Two fabulous cheese makers also had stands. Shellbark Hollow Farms is showing off two new delicacies, jars of marinated chevre – these are perfect for picnics – and Crottin de Chevre, a brie-like wonder that has been aging since February. I met Noelle Bakri, a new Shellbark staff member who approached the Demchur family about learning to become a cheesemaker. Go, Noelle.

Birch Run Hills Farm, makers of the most beautiful local blue, had some new cheeses to sample, including Equinox, a quirky aged cheese that made me think or muesli with yogurt – nutty, lemony, dense. I’ll be picking up a wedge real soon. Alas, I blew all my money on Market Day Canelés.

For those of you in ma neighborhood, these Canelés are sold throughout the week at Quince Fine Foods at 2nd and Girard Ave. 

Other treats at the Piazza Market: yarn, grass-fed beef, John & Kira's Chocolates, Amaranth Bakery breads (gluten-free), beautiful herbs & veggies, soaps, organic eggs, locally roasted fair trade coffee, and lovely lovely people. Check it out on Saturdays, 10-3.

Happy Spring-a-Ling!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Tenaya. I love this blog! Don't forget Monay Poets at the library on April 8. 630pm. I can't find your email address. mine is thatchera@freelibrary.org

    ReplyDelete